The Villa Maria Estate story is one of absolute passion. The winery was founded in 1961 by Sir George Fistonich who remains the sole owner and Managing Director. An early pioneer in the New Zealand wine industry, Villa Maria has been at the forefront of innovation to help drive the exceptional level of wine quality for which the region is known. This pursuit of excellence has led Villa Maria to become New Zealand’s most awarded winery.
Villa Maria sources grapes from New Zealand’s premium grape growing regions: Marlborough, Hawkes Bay and Gisborne and produces wines in state-of-the-art winemaking facilities in Auckland and Marlborough.
Villa Maria has an unparalleled history of award-winning wines. The winery’s relentless pursuit of extraordinary quality is evidenced by the acclaim and medals awarded to the winery over the years
at major wine shows and competitions.
- Named one of the World’s 50 Great Wine Producers (Wine Spectator 2004)
- New World Winery of the Year for 2007 (Wine Enthusiast)
- Twice named New Zealand Wine Company of the Year - for the 4th time in recent years (International Wine & Spirits Competition UK)
- New Zealand Wine Company of the Year for the 11th time in 13 years (Australia’s Winestate Magazine 2009)
- Consistent trophy and medal winner at national and international competitions and shows.
Sir George Fistonich - Founder & Managing Director
Alastair Maling MW - Group Winemaker
MARLBOROUGH WINERY, CNR PAYNTERS & NEW RENWICK ROADS, FAIRHALL
BLENHEIM, Marlborough, NEW ZEALAND